Domain Hosting and Registration:
A website domain in WebMoon Comapny is the name you type into your browser to get to a particular website. Domains take the form “www.webmoon.com”. This can be broken down into three parts:
- The www is generally optional, in that entering only “example.com” will still get you to the same page as if you had added the “www.”
- This, along with the final part are your host name. This middle part can be made up of a combination of letters, numbers and hyphens (-). There are a few caveats: you can’t start or end a name with a hyphen, because that would look silly. Your name also has to include at least one letter, it can’t be all numbers. The domain can be up to 63 characters long, and is case-insensitive, which means that there’s no difference between webmoon.com and example.com.
- This is one of many domain extensions — or “top-level domains” — which you can choose. You could also have a domain like “webmoon.org” or “example.net” or countless other variations. Each one has a specific meaning which we’ll delve into below.
How Important is the Domain Name?
- It’s your “first impression”. Your URL is the first thing your visitors will see. A good domain name can make a positive and lasting impression while a bad domain name can send visitors running.
- It affects SEO. While exact match domains (EMDs) are no longer a necessity, keywords in your domain name can still help your SEO ranking.
- It defines your brand. Your domain name is a branding opportunity. The right domain name can increase brand recognition.
Register a Domain Name with Domain.com
Step 1: Go to Domain.com and type your chosen domain name.
Step 2: When you see that your domain name is available, it is automatically added to your shopping cart.
Step 3: Under your chosen domain, they offer Domain Privacy, this costs $8.99 per year. If you’re not interested, you can simply not check the box.
Step 4: Select for how long do you wish to register it for and click “Continue”.
Get a Free Domain Using Blue host
One neat trick that we recommend people to use is to get a web hosting and domain together. To make your website work, you’re going to need both of them.
Register a Domain Name with GoDaddy.com
Step 1: Go to GoDaddy.com and type your chosen domain name.
Step 2: When you see that your domain name is available, select the $2.99 option. Then, select “Continue to Cart” on the top right.
Step 3: On the next screen, you can select if you want domain privacy protection. If you’re not worried about people knowing who owns the domain, then simply select “No Thanks”.
Select the term and proceed to checkout.